Gasoline prices in Virginia have risen 17 cents per gallon over the past week, according to GasBuddy, but the bigger issue may be soaring diesel prices.
“Not only are diesel prices at an all-time high, they are at their widest spread over gasoline on record, surpassing the 98 cent difference in 2008 and currently sitting at a premium of $1.20 per gallon,” said Patrick De Haan, Head of Petroleum Analysis. at GasBuddy. “While motorists refueling have seen a slight price increase, the diesel surge will be a double whammy as diesel prices will soon be passed through to retail channels, further increasing the cost of goods.”
The price of diesel rose 22.6 cents nationally over the past week to $5.518 a gallon, according to GasBuddy.
Virginians pay an average of $4.22 a gallon at the pump today, according to GasBuddy’s survey of 4,081 stations in Virginia. Prices in Virginia are 23.1 cents per gallon higher than a month ago and $1.45/g higher than a year ago.
The national average gasoline price rose 13.6 cents per gallon last week to average $4.31 per gallon today. The national average is up 19.6 cents a gallon from a month ago and is $1.36 a gallon higher than a year ago, according to GasBuddy data compiled from of over 11 million weekly price reports covering over 150,000 service stations across the country.
“Petrol and diesel prices saw strong upward momentum last week as oil prices continued to climb after the EU signaled its willingness to sanction Russian oil. U.S. oil stocks have seen another weekly drop as we near the start of the summer driving season,” De Haan said.
Historical gasoline prices in Virginia and the national average going back ten years:
- May 9, 2021: $2.77/g (US average: $2.95/g)
- May 9, 2020: $1.70/g (US average: $1.84/g)
- May 9, 2019: $2.62/g (US average: $2.87/g)
- May 9, 2018: $2.64/g (US average: $2.84/g)
- May 9, 2017: $2.17/g (US average: $2.33/g)
- May 9, 2016: $2.07/g (US average: $2.21/g)
- May 9, 2015: $2.43/g (US average: $2.66/g)
- May 9, 2014: $3.48/g (US average: $3.67/g)
- May 9, 2013: $3.36/g (US average: $3.55/g)
- May 9, 2012: $3.63/g (US average: $3.74/g)
Neighboring areas and their current gas prices:
- Roanoke – $4.06/g, up 16.4 cents per gallon from $3.90/g last week.
- Richmond – $4.24/g, up 17.6 cents per gallon from $4.06/g last week.
- West Virginia – $4.13/g, up 17.4 cents per gallon from $3.96/g last week.
GasBuddy data can be accessed at price.GasBuddy.com.